NEW CLIENTS MUST PAY WITH CASH, MONEY ORDER, CASHIER'S CHECK, ACH, OR BANK WIRE TRANSFER. NO CREDIT CARDS.
Auction: Wednesday, April 12, 2023 at 9AM
All bidding for this auction is online. All bidding for this auction is on PookLive, Bidsquare, and Invaluable.
Gallery Exhibition in Downingtown, PA:
Monday, April 10, 2023 - 10am to 4pm
Tuesday, April 11, 2023 - 10am to 4pm
· All bidding for this auction is on PookLive, Bidsquare, and Invaluable.
· The buyer's premium is 26%.
· Established clients may pay with credit card (3.5% fee). New clients must pay with cash, check (items released 10 days post-deposit), cashier's check, money order, ACH, or bank wire transfer.
· All clients picking up in the state of Pennsylvania must pay sales 6% tax unless they have a tax exemption certificate on file with the auction house.
· Online Only Auctions at Pook & Pook are live auctions, not timed auctions. They run just like a regular salesroom auction with the lots being sold one at a time in lot number order. The only difference is that there are no bidders in the salesroom or on the phones. All bidding, both live and absentee, is taking place online through online bidding platforms. Bidders can leave absentee bids up until a few minutes before an item sells. They can also bid live when the item crosses the auction block. When the bidding slows down, a fair warning may be given and if no additional bids come in, the clerk then clicks ‘sold’. Bid quickly.
· For the online only auctions, we sell approximately 80-90 lots per hour.
· Please note that Pook & Pook is using multiple online bidding platforms for this auction. When watching the auction online, "floor" or "competitive" bid simply means a bid taken from a platform different from the one the bidder is currently on.
· Pook & Pook offers pick-ups at the gallery by appointment. Appointments can be made here.
· Pook & Pook offers in-house shipping on select items as noted in the catalog description, and is happy to provide a list of outside shippers for those items it does not ship.
· If you have any additional questions about how our Online Only Auctions work, please call (610) 269-4040 or email email@example.com.
· To consign to an upcoming auction, please email photographs to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (610) 269-4040 to speak with an appraiser.
· To bid by phone, download the PookLive app.
Available payment options
For pick-ups, please schedule an appointment here. Lots eligible for In-house shipping state, "Competitive in-house shipping available," in the lot description. If you have more than ten items on your invoice, please contact the Shipping Department. Please contact the Shipping Department via email at email@example.com to give consent for Pook & Pook to ship your items. For shipment of orders not eligible for in-house shipping, the following companies have offered their services:
For shipment of small to medium items, please contact one of the following:
1. The Packaging Store firstname.lastname@example.org (215) 361-6940, fax: (215) 361-6941
2. Mail N More Plus email@example.com
3. Philadelphia Mailroom firstname.lastname@example.org (215) 745-1100
For shipment of large items (furniture, sculptures, etc.), the following companies have offered their services:
1. North South Art Transfer (East Coast) (703) 850-0309 email@example.com
2. Scott Cousins (East Coast) (978) 491-9353 firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Annie Hauls (East Coast only) (609) 577-5133 email@example.com
4. Plycon Transportation (Worldwide) (310) 419-1200
All items must be picked up, or shipping arrangements made, within one week of the day of sale. NOTE: Items left here more than two weeks will incur storage fees at a rate of $5.00 per lot per day (this rate applies to all items regardless of size or value).
CONDITIONS OF SALE
1. Auction – This is a public sale conducted by Pook & Pook, Inc., (hereinafter referred to as “Pook & Pook”) a licensed and bonded auctioneer. Pook & Pook is the agent of the items being sold at auction. By bidding on any item at auction the purchaser agrees to be bound by these Conditions of Sale, Terms of Guarantee, and any other conditions announced and/or published.
2. As Is – All items (hereinafter referred to as item(s), lot(s), article(s), antique(s), property, etc.) for sale are sold as is, where is, with all faults. Pook & Pook, its agents, employees, and/or consignors do not make any guarantees, warranties, or representations, expressed or implied, with respect to the items or the correctness of the catalog or other description of the authenticity of authorship, physical condition, size, quality, rarity, importance, provenance, exhibitions, literature or historical relevance of the property or otherwise, except where applicable under the Terms of Guarantee for select auctions and restricted to the portion of description in bold face type in a published/printed catalog only. No statement anywhere, whether oral or written, shall be deemed as such a guarantee, warranty, or representation.
3. Condition – Pook & Pook endeavors to be fair and forthright with descriptions and condition reports; however, bidders must acknowledge that antique items often show normal signs of use and wear, which might not be specified in a condition report. The absence of a condition report does not imply that the lot is in good condition. All prospective bidders should inspect the property they wish to purchase prior to bidding. If a bidder is unable to view an item in person, they are responsible for obtaining a condition report and/or additional photographs prior to bidding to determine an article’s condition, size, and degree of restoration. If a bidder is a very particular client with expectations of perfection, it is advisable that the bidder inspect items in person and, if unable to do so, Pook & Pook recommends that the bidder refrains from bidding as condition is subjective and a bidder’s expectations of condition may be more exacting that an appraiser could have time to verify. Choosing to bid at auction will signify that the bidder has examined the item(s) of interest or has chosen not to examine the item(s). Pook & Pook reserves the right to reject any request for condition report/additional photograph in which the value of the object is not commensurate with the time necessary to complete the request. Warranties given by Pook & Pook under the Terms of Guarantee, do not extend to any condition report. Lots, especially those containing semi-precious and precious stones, cannot be returned once they have been removed from the gallery. Weights and measurements are approximate. Pook & Pook does not guarantee clocks, watches, mechanical banks, scientific instruments, electric lamps, and other mechanical or electric items to be complete or in working condition. Display materials shown in photographs are not included with the lot unless stated in the description. Box lots (i.e. those marked lot sampling or boxes of books) are only guaranteed to have those items listed in the description and no condition reports or additional photographs will be provided. Books, documents, and ephemera are not guaranteed to be complete. Art size is for the art only, not the frame, unless otherwise specified.
4. Lot Descriptions/Title - Each lot is given a detailed description which may include the artist, date, construction materials, dimensions, provenance, etc. Each lot is also given a truncated title for search engine optimization. Please rely on the full description, not the truncated title before placing any bid. Pook & Pook makes every attempt to update titles, descriptions, and conditions and posts the updates online until immediately before the start of the auction to ensure bidders have access to the most current information.
5. Reserve – Some lots offered may be subject to a reserve. The reserve is a confidential minimum price agreed upon by the consignor and Pook & Pook below which the lot will not be sold. A representative of Pook & Pook will execute such reserves by bidding for the consignor. Reserves are typically set at or below the estimated range. Under no circumstances will reserve amounts be disclosed to prospective bidders prior to the auction.
6. Auctioneer’s Discretion – The auctioneer reserves the right to reject any bid which, in his/her opinion, is not commensurate with the value of the article being offered. At their discretion, the auctioneer may also reject any bid that he/she may determine as having a detrimental effect on the item in question or the sale as a whole. Unless otherwise announced by the auctioneer all bids are per lot as numbered in the catalog. Pook & Pook reserves the right to withdraw any property before sale. The highest bidder acknowledged by the auctioneer will be the purchaser. In the event of any dispute between bidders, or in the event of doubt as to the validity of any bid, the auctioneer will have the final discretion either to determine the successful bidder or to re-offer and resell the article in dispute. If any dispute arises after the sale, the sale record of Pook & Pook is conclusive.
7. Registration – All bidders must provide identification and a major credit card in order to receive a bidder paddle and/or execute absentee or telephone bids. In order to protect Pook & Pook and its consignors’ interests, Pook & Pook may ask bidders to provide a deposit and/or provide additional financial references. Pook & Pook reserves the right to reject any registration for unqualified buyers.
8. Bidding – A bid may be placed one of several ways:
a. In-House Live Bids – In-house, live bidding is only available for select sales after registration and receipt of a paddle. The auctioneer will announce the lot number and a starting bid amount. Bidders must raise their paddle to indicate their intent to bid. Bidders must be recognized/acknowledged by the auctioneer. After the fall of the hammer, the auctioneer will announce the hammer price and paddle/bidder number.
b. Telephone Bids – Telephone bidding is only available for select sales. Any request for telephone bidding must be received by us in writing by bid form, online bid form, by fax, mail, and/or email at least 12 hours in advance of the start of the auction. Pook & Pook does not accept verbal requests for bids. Requests for telephone bids are executed by a designated Pook & Pook employee with information provided to us by the bidder. Please check all information submitted for accuracy. The bidder should receive an acknowledgement that bids have been received and if no such acknowledgement is given, it is the bidder’s responsibility to confirm receipt. Pook & Pook executes bids based on the lot number provided by the bidder, not the description, so please make sure that the lot number is correct when submitting bids. When the telephone bidder’s lot is up for sale, a designated Pook & Pook employee will call the primary telephone number provided by the bidder. If time allows, a Pook & Pook designee will call the secondary number provided by the bidder. The designee will make every effort to execute bidder’s instructions. It is recommended that bidders leave an insurance bid (back-up amount) in the event that the telephone bidder is unreachable. All bidders must agree to a minimum opening bid of $500 per lot for telephone bidding, regardless of the value of the lot. If it is necessary to change or cancel a telephone bid, the request must be received 12 hours in advance of the start of the auction and subsequently acknowledged. Telephone bids are accepted and/or executed at the discretion of Pook & Pook and at the risk of the bidder. Telephone bidding is a convenience for bidders not present at auction and Pook & Pook is not responsible for any errors or omissions in connection therewith.
c. In-House Absentee Bids – Absentee bidding is only available for select sales (see Internet Bids for online absentee bidding). Any request for absentee bidding must be received by us in writing by bid form, online bid form, by fax, mail, and/or email at least 12 hours in advance of the start of the auction. Pook & Pook does not accept verbal requests for bids. Requests for absentee bids are executed by a designated Pook & Pook employee with information provided to us by the bidder. Please check all information submitted for accuracy. The bidder should receive an acknowledgement that bids have been received and if no such acknowledgement is given, it is the bidder’s responsibility to confirm its receipt. Pook & Pook executes bids based on lot number provided by the bidder, not the description, so please make sure that the lot number is correct when submitting bids. When a lot is up for sale, the auctioneer will attempt bid competitively up to the absentee bidder’s maximum bid amount. Please see paragraph 10, Identical Bids. If it is necessary to change or cancel an absentee bid, the request must be received 12 hours in advance of the start of the auction and subsequently acknowledged. Submit changes or cancellations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Absentee bids are accepted and/or executed at the discretion of Pook & Pook and at the risk of the bidder. Absentee bidding is a convenience for bidders not present at auction and Pook & Pook is not responsible for any errors or omissions in connection therewith. Absentee bids less than half of the low estimate will not be accepted, acknowledged, or processed. Off-increment absentee bids will be rounded down to the nearest increment. d. Internet Bidding – Internet bidding, both live and absentee, is available for all sales. Third-party online bidding platforms, PookLive, Bidsquare, Invaluable, or other live bidding platform require separate registration(s). In order to expedite the PookLive, Bidsquare, Invaluable, or other live bidding platform registration process, it is recommended that a bidder registers at least two days before the start of the first session of the auction. Information transmitted to us from any live bidding platform is anonymous and Pook & Pook does not have previous knowledge of bids left by registered users. At the time of the sale, bids are executed by a designated Pook & Pook employee transmitted to us by PookLive, Bidsquare, Invaluable, or other live bidding platform in real time. Pook & Pook is not responsible for any errors, omissions, ability or inability, in connection with bidder’s use of any live bidding platform as Pook & Pook is not able to control the reliability of the device or software used, or transmission speed.
9. Bidding Increments:
Bid Amount and Increment
up to $500 by $25
$500 to $1,000 by $50
$1,000 to $2,000 by $100
$2,000 to $5,000 by $200
$5,000 to $10,000 by $500
$10,000 to $20,000 by $1,000
over $20,000 auctioneer’s discretion
ONLINE ONLY SALES*
Bid Amount and Increment up to $200 by $10
$200 to $500 by $20
$500 to $1,000 by $50
$1,000 to $2,000 by $100
$2,000 to $5,000 by $200
$5,000 to $10,000 by $500
over $10,000 auctioneer’s discretion
*subject to change at auctioneer's discretion
10. Identical Bids – During auctions, Pook & Pook utilizes various bidding options, including multiple online bid platforms, to accept bids in real time, (see Bidding, paragraph 8, above). Because multiple bidding options are present, identical bids may occur on the same lot, without notification to the bidder, prior to the live auction. It is important to understand that: a. The various bidding platforms being utilized by Pook & Pook do not communicate with one another. b. A notification of high bid, or similar notification, pre-auction means only that the bid is the highest absentee bid on a that particular platform in that moment in time. A notification of high bid has no bearing on the bidder's final standing during the auction. c. The auctioneer has no knowledge of all bids prior to the moment a lot is auctioned. d. The auction is conducted in pre-determined, fixed increments, (see Bidding Increments, paragraph 9, above). The winner of the identical bids is determined by the order in which the auctioneer recognizes/accepts the bids in real time and not necessarily when the bids were initially placed. Based on the start price and all other competing bids, it is possible for an absentee bid, either online or in-house, to fall off-increment and land in favor of another bidder at the absentee bidder's maximum bid. In all cases, the auctioneer makes the final determination over which bids to accept and in which order, (see Auctioneer's Discretion, paragraph 6, above).
11. Title – Title of each lot passes when the hammer falls and/or the auctioneer says “SOLD”. Thereafter, any loss by fire, theft, breakage, or any other cause is the sole responsibility of the purchaser. Merchandise must be packed and transported by the purchaser at their own risk and expense. If the buyer requests assistance from an employee or agent of Pook & Pook with packaging or transport it is fully at the risk, responsibility, and expense of the purchaser, and Pook & Pook shall not be liable for any loss or damage that may be caused by such employee or agent. Pook & Pook is not responsible for any damage to property left on the premises, or removed and stored in a storage facility. Pook & Pook is not responsible for the acts or omissions of third parties whom the buyer retains for shipping, or any damage that occurs after items are removed from Pook & Pook’s auction house.
12. Buyer’s Premium – A buyer’s premium will be added to the successful hammer price and is payable by the purchaser as part of the total purchase price. The buyer’s premium for each individual lot is 25% (26% on PookLive, Bidsquare, Invaluable, or other third party online bid platform) of the successful hammer price up to and including $1,000,000, and 13% on any portion of the hammer price on a single item, in excess of $1,000,000. This amount will be added to the successful bid price of each lot and is payable by the purchaser together with the applicable sales or use tax, which is applied to the total cost of the purchase.
13. Sales Tax – Buyers will be required to pay Pennsylvania Sales Tax of 6% at the time of payment unless: A) Items are shipped out of Pennsylvania by an ICC licensed shipping company; and/or, B) The buyer provides Pook & Pook with a valid Sales Tax License Number and completes and signs Pennsylvania Exemption Certificate (REV-1220). The form is available at the office or found here: https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforBusinesses/SUT/Documents/rev-1220.pdf
14. Payment – Payments from new and established clients can be made with cash, money order, cashier’s check, bank wire, or personal/business check. Checks should be made payable to Pook & Pook, Inc. A fee of $50.00 will be charged for all returned checks. First time purchasers must pay with cash, bank check, money order, wire transfer, and/or personal/business check. First time purchasers paying with personal/business check cannot collect items until payment has cleared, or ten days post-deposit. Pook & Pook can accept most major credit cards from established clients; however, there is an additional 3.5% surcharge. Pook & Pook does not accept debit cards, PayPal, and/or Western Union wires. Items purchased for a third party must be paid for by the purchaser of record, regardless of whether the purchaser of record has received funds from the third party. The purchaser of record cannot be changed on an invoice post-auction. Payment is due no later than seven (7) days post sale. If payment is not received within ten (10) days of the day of sale, the credit card of record may be charged the invoice total and a 5% late fee. If no credit card is available or if payment has not been received within 28 days, Pook & Pook will pursue alternate collection avenues to collect the balance due plus any storage, administrative, attorney, and/or court fees. Contact: email@example.com with any questions. 15. Non-Payment – Pook & Pook pays its consignors 30 days after the day of sale. If a buyer fails to make payment within 28 days of the day of sale, Pook & Pook shall be entitled to do any or all of the following: a. After 10 Days - Charge the credit card number provided to Pook & Pook by the buyer for the total due plus any applicable fees, including but not limited to, storage, late fee, interest, a credit card surcharge, etc. If a deposit was submitted prior to bidding, this amount will not be refunded, but be kept and applied towards any owed amounts. b. After 28 Days – File a Civil Complaint against the buyer to recover any balance due plus court fees, interest, storage fees, administrative costs, attorney fees, and any other applicable financial hardship caused to Pook & Pook, and/or the consignor, or pursue other collection avenues to recover any and all losses. c. Charge interest at a rate of 1% per month throughout the entire time frame of non-payment. d. After 30 Days – Re-offer the items for sale, either publicly or privately, return items to consignor, and collect any remaining balance owed after such sale from the original buyer, including, but not limited to, total balance remaining, lost buyer’s premium, lost consignor’s fee, court costs, interest, storage fees, attorney fees, administrative costs including those related to re-selling the item(s), and any other related fees. e. Reject further bidding or consigning at any and all future auctions. f. File an unpaid item dispute and report non-paying bidders to Bidsquare, Invaluable, and/or any other third-party live bidding platform being utilized. 16. Shipping/Pick-Up – Pook & Pook reserves the right to hold merchandise purchased until payment has cleared the bank (10 days for personal checks, business checks, overseas money orders/cashier’s checks, and credit cards), if such action is necessary to protect the interest of Pook & Pook. Items paid via cash, bank wire transfer, cashier’s check (US only), or money order will be released immediately. The cost of shipping is not included in the total purchase price. At an additional cost to the buyer, Pook & Pook will provide in-house domestic shipping on eligible items noted in the catalog, or, for items not eligible, will assist buyers in coordinating shipping with outside shipping companies. Items eligible for in-house shipping are at the sole discretion of Pook & Pook. Items not eligible for in-house shipping must either be shipped by an outside shipping company or picked up at Pook & Pook’s gallery. Pook & Pook does not offer expedited shipping on any liquid asset (precious metals, jewelry, currency, firearms, etc.). All items must be picked up, or shipping arrangements made, within seven (7) days from the day of sale. All buyers must notify Pook & Pook by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), telephone (610) 269-4040, or fax (610) 269-9274 regarding their chosen shipper. The buyer must pay a separate shipping charge, in advance, for all packaging and shipping expenses including labor, materials, postage, and, if applicable, insurance fees. Any package with a value in excess of $100 must be insured unless the buyer completes a Waiver of Shipping Insurance. If the property purchased is subject to laws governing export from U.S. or laws restricting imports into foreign countries, the granting of licensing and any applicable fees for export and/or import of such goods is the responsibility of the buyer. Pick-up times are by appointment only Monday through Friday between 9:00AM and 4:30PM. Pook & Pook will bring purchases to successful buyers, and/or their shippers, but buyers, and/or their shippers, are responsible for bringing their own packing materials and assistance and must also pack, wrap, and load their items. If it is necessary to change or cancel/reschedule the pre-arranged pick-up appointment, please use the link provided to at the time of scheduling or call the office to cancel/reschedule. Please provide at least 24 hours’ notice. 17. Return of Items/Refunds – All sales are final. Pook & Pook does not give refunds except where applicable under the Terms of Guarantee for select auctions and restricted to item(s) described in bold face type only. Any concern regarding the authenticity of a purchase must be brought to the attention of Pook & Pook within 15 days of the day of the auction. If an item is accepted for return under the Terms of Guarantee, it shall be returned in the same condition as when it was removed from Pook & Pook’s gallery. Accepted returns are refunded for the purchase price only. Additional expense(s) incurred by the purchaser will not be refunded including, but not limited to, credit card surcharge fees, shipping, appraisal fees, etc. Pook & Pook pays its consignors on the 30th day after the auction and absolutely no refund will be given after 28 days. 18. Storage Fees – Any items left at the gallery for more than ten (10) days following the sale will incur storage fees at a rate of $5.00 per lot, per day (this rate applies to all items regardless of size or value). Storage fees will begin on the 11th day regardless of payment status. Paid items remaining at Pook & Pook’s gallery 45 days after the auction date will be considered abandoned and will be consigned to the house in a future auction without additional notice to the purchaser.
19. No Chargeback Policy – Purchasers agree that disputes of any nature may not be resolved by a credit card chargeback and further agree to refrain from filing any chargeback claim against Pook & Pook and/or its credit card merchant. By purchasing at Pook & Pook, the purchaser waives the right to initiate a chargeback and furthermore agrees to pay a minimum of $500 plus administrative fees, costs, attorney fees, and/or any other charges associated with responding to said chargeback due to the administrative burden of responding to said dispute. 20. Firearms – Purchasers of firearms must strictly comply with all state and federal regulations governing their purchase, registration, and transportation. Firearms requiring registration are designated in an auction catalog as R (requires registration/FFL) or C&R (Curio & Relic). Bidders of firearms requiring registration (R or C&R) will be required to provide their Federal Firearms License or be a licensed Collector of Curio & Relics. If a purchaser does not possess a federal license, he/she must comply with additional registration as required by their resident state. The purchaser is solely responsible for fees associated with the additional registration requirements charged by Pook & Pook or purchaser’s transfer agent. If the purchaser is not in possession of a federal license and is not a resident of Pennsylvania, he/she must make arrangements with a transfer agent in their resident state. If you are restricted from purchasing a firearm, please do not attempt to bid on any firearm.
21. Restricted Transport of Items – Certain items containing elements of restricted plant and/or animal material may require a permit, license, or certificate and be subject to laws governing export from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and import to other states/foreign countries. Prior to purchase, it is the purchaser’s responsibility to familiarize themselves with relevant regulations of the state/country concerned and obtain any necessary permit, license, or certificate. Sales will not be rescinded for the Purchaser’s inability to obtain the required documentation. 22. Copyright – All information, text, articles, data, images, or other materials provided by Pook & Pook either on its website, printed catalog, and/or third-party website are copyrighted and sole property of Pook & Pook. Persons may not edit, modify and/or make use of such copyrighted materials without the express, prior written consent of Pook & Pook. Persons may only use, download, and/or copy any materials for informational purposes. 23. Limited Liability – Pook & Pook shall not be liable to the purchaser for any amount in excess of the original purchase price (hammer price, buyer’s premium, and, if applicable, sales tax) including, but not limited to shipping, credit card surcharge, appraisal fees, insurance, etc. See Terms of Guarantee for further details.
24. Jurisdiction – Purchasers are governed by the laws of the jurisdiction in which the auction is held. By bidding at Pook & Pook purchasers consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Bidding on any item indicates an acceptance of these Terms and all other terms announced/published at the time of sale. TERMS OF GUARANTEE Select sales by Pook & Pook’s carry a limited guarantee. This guarantee is designed to protect the buyer against major discrepancies. (i.e. major restorations or repairs not described, fakes, forgeries, replicas, reproductions, or major fabrications) that would have a major effect upon the value of the item purchased. The limited guarantee only applies to items appearing in a published, printed, and bound catalog and will include most items in Americana and International auctions including period furniture, fine art, and period accessories. The guarantee applies to the portion of the description written in bold face type only. The limited guarantee does not apply to any item sold in an online only auction including most decorative arts, coins & jewelry, Native American Indian, ephemera, toys, etc. Pook & Pook warrants the Authorship of items in bold face type for a period of 15 days from the date of the sale of such lot and only to the original purchaser of record at the auction. It does not apply to any information in the description other than what is printed in bold face type. The warranty also applies to the bold face type description as amended and posted in an Auction Addendum available before an auction in the gallery prior/during the auction or by request from prospective buyers. If it is determined to Pook & Pook’s satisfaction that the bold face type is incorrect, the sale will be rescinded, provided the entire lot is returned to Pook & Pook in the same condition in which it was at the time of the sale. It is also Pook & Pook’s general policy to have the purchaser obtain, at the purchaser’s expense, the opinion of one (or two in some cases) recognized experts in the field, mutually acceptable to Pook & Pook and the purchaser, before Pook & Pook determines whether to rescind the sale. Return of any item from a rescinded sale will not be accepted unless accompanied by a Return Authorization from Pook & Pook. will only refund the original purchase price. Pook & Pook will not, under any circumstance, refund more than the purchase price. Pook & Pook will not pay for any expenses incurred by the purchaser including but not limited to: shipping costs, credit card surcharge, appraisal fees, insurance, etc. Pook & Pook will not be liable for loss of profit, loss of business/opportunity, perceived value, expenses, costs, and/or damages. “Authorship” is defined as the creator, period, culture, source of origin, as the case may be, as set forth in the bold face type of a lot in a printed catalog, with exception of amendments by any oral or written salesroom notices or announcements. All other warranties of authenticity of authorship, express or implied, are hereby disclaimed and purchaser shall take each lot “as is” and with all faults and errors of description. Bold face type in the catalog which identify an item specifically as the work of the named artist or author shall mean that the work is by the named artist or author (i.e. if the name of the artist is printed in bold face type without a question mark and without any qualifying phrase such as “attributed to” or “circle of”. Bold face type in the catalog attributing the work to a named artist or author shall mean that the work is of a period or school of the artist or author, but is not, with certainty, by the named artist or author. This may also be indicated with a question mark following the name of author. The purchaser’s sole remedy in the event of disputed authenticity of authorship of any lot shall be rescission of the sale and restitution of the original purchase price and premium paid by such purchaser. Pook & Pook hereby disclaims all liability for any damages, incidental, consequential or otherwise, arising out of or in connection with any sale to purchaser. Pook & Pook will not refund any shipping and/or handling fees paid to a third party by the purchaser. Disputes of any nature may not be resolved by a credit card chargeback (see Conditions of Sale, paragraph 19, No Chargeback Policy). Bidders are expected to examine material prior to purchase and at the time of pickup. If a bidder is unable to examine an item in person, they are responsible for obtaining a Condition Report and an Auction Addendum prior to bidding. If a bidder becomes a successful purchaser, prompt payment and shipping arrangements are expected, followed by immediate examination of all material purchased. The purchaser must notify Pook & Pook of any major discrepancies to the description listed in bold face type (unless previously corrected in the Condition Report and/or Auction Addendum). Pook & Pook pays its consignors 30 days after the day of sale and, therefore, will not honor any request for a refund after 28 days. If a buyer suspects a major discrepancy and will need longer than 28 days to obtain supporting documentation of such a discrepancy, they must notify Pook & Pook in writing prior to that deadline so that payment can be withheld from the consignor until such time as the discrepancy is resolved or the sale is rescinded. Please note that this limited guarantee does not extend to any condition report, oral or written, provided to the buyer by Pook & Pook. Condition reports are provided as a courtesy and are not a replacement for physical observation/examination of the item(s) bidders wish to purchase, and as such, bidders must assume the responsibility for any errors or omissions contained therein. All dimensions given in the catalog are approximate and are not guaranteed. All weights, grades, and sizes listed are approximate. Definitions of statements: a. “Attributed to” - work is of the period of the named artist and may be the work of that artist, but is not definitely. b. “Circle of” - work of the period closely associated with the artist or from their studio. c. “School of” - work by a pupil or follower of the artist, in their style. d. “After” - in the opinion of Pook & Pook, a copy of the work of the artist. e. “Signed” - has a signature which in the qualified opinion of Pook & Pook is the signature of the artist. f. “Bears signature” - has signature which in the qualified opinion of Pook & Pook, might be the signature of the artist. EXCLUSIONS Notwithstanding any other provision of these Terms of Guarantee, Pook & Pook disclaims all warranties of authenticity of authorship for all lots consisting of works of fine art by or attributed to artists, authors, or persons living before 1870 and, when no artist, author or person is so identified, works attributed to a period which includes any date prior to 1870 and all warranties relating to the identification of the periods or dates of execution of property which may be proven inaccurate. Clocks and Mechanical items – Items with mechanical parts such as clocks, mechanical banks, music boxes, etc. are not guaranteed to be complete and/or in working condition. Display materials – Display materials such as shelves, holders, and platform bases which may be shown in photographs are not included with any lot unless specifically stated in the written description. Lot Sampling – Lots depicted with the words “lot sampling” also in the photograph are only guaranteed to have those items listed in the written description. Firearms – Purchasers of firearms must strictly comply with all state and federal regulations governing their purchase, registration, and transportation. See Conditions of Sale for further information. Pook & Pook does not guarantee the working condition of any firearm. Pook & Pook will not be liable for accident or injury resulting in purchase of firearm. Purchasers should have all firearms they purchase examined by a certified gunsmith prior to use. Jewelry - All jewelry weights and measurements are approximate. Items with semi-precious and precious stones are not returnable once they have been removed from Pook & Pook’s auction gallery. Electrified items – Pook & Pook does not guarantee the working condition of any electrified items such as lamps. Pook & Pook will not be liable for accident or injury resulting in the use of any electrified item. Purchasers should have all electrified items they purchase examined by a certified electrician prior to use. Oriental Rugs - Pook & Pook does not guarantee the names or patterns of Oriental rugs. Sizes provided are approximate. Wine and Spirits – Purchasers of alcoholic beverages must be at least 21 years of age. Wine and spirits sold at auction may be subject to laws governing export from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania/US and import to other states/foreign countries. It is the Purchaser’s responsibility to obtain any necessary import/export license and should secure the license prior to purchase. Sales will not be rescinded for inability to obtain a license or delay of same.