Important Custer era, US marked Cavalry Colt single action six shot Army revolver with Kopec letter
, .45 caliber, manufactured in 1874 and inspected for the US Army by Orville W. Ainsworth. The serial number makes it part of Lot 5 which was one of the principal lots from which the 7th cavalry received their revolvers. According to Kopec, Colt SAA revolver serial numbered #4507 was General Terry's personal sidearm & Colt SAA revolver serial numbered #4553 was taken from a relic backstrap found on the Custer Battlefield near the Indian Village and once belonged to Lt. Luther Hare. The firearm retains a period nickel plating, with a 7 1/2'' round barrel. SN#4564.
All visible serial numbers match including the frame, trigger guard, backstrap and cylinder, the grip strap has been drilled for two piece grips, the grips are very good walnut replacements, retains approximately 85% of an old, nickel plating with evidence of buffing on the frame, cylinder & barrel, although the Hartford barrel address is clear as is the ''US'' mark on the frame, there are ''A'' sub inspector proofs on the barrel, cylinder indexes correctly and locks up tight.